The Syracuse City Attorney provides the City with a broad range of legal services. The Attorney’s office is responsible for the City’s legal affairs, including serving as legal advisor to the Mayor and City Council, City departments, boards, and commissions.
The City Attorney was appointed in accordance with Utah law and Syracuse City ordinances.
Duties of the Attorney’s office include:
- Participating in negotiations
- Overseeing lawsuits initiated or defended on behalf of Syracuse City
- Drafting and review contracts
- Creating and amending ordinances
- Providing counsel to departments regarding land use and code enforcement
- Assisting with economic development and redevelopment
- Providing legal opinions to City officials
Criminal Proceedings & Information
The Attorney also prosecutes the following types of offenses that occur within the City:
- Domestic violence
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Misdemeanor and infraction-level offenses
For information about your criminal or traffic case, visit the Syracuse Justice Court. The City Attorney may not speak with those who are represented by an attorney.
The City Attorney only provides legal advice to the City’s elected and appointed officials, not to individual citizens. Private legal matters must be handled by attorneys retained by the person seeking legal advice.
Victim Advocate Program
The Attorney’s office oversees the Victim Advocate Program, which provides support for victims of crimes that occur in Syracuse.
The Syracuse City Prosecutor's Office maintains the following Policies.