Winter Safety Tips
Dennis Opp, Disaster Preparedness Committee
AAA shares these driving tips:
● Avoid using cruise control in wintry conditions
● Steer in the direction of a skid, so when your wheels regain traction, you don’t have to overcorrect to stay in your lane
● Accelerate and decelerate slowly
● Increase following distance to 8 to 10 seconds
If visibility is severely limited due to a whiteout, pull off the road to a safe place and do not drive until conditions improve. Avoid pulling off onto the shoulder unless it is an absolute emergency. Limited visibility means other vehicles can’t see yours on the shoulder.
Prepare Your Car
Check out these car care tips:
● Check your tires and replace with all-weather or snow tires, if necessary.
● Keep your gas tank full to prevent ice from getting in the tank and fuel lines.
● Use a wintertime fluid in your windshield washer.
● Make an emergency kit to keep in your car. Include water, snacks, first-aid kit, blankets, flashlight, extra batteries, portable cell phone charger, and emergency flares.
Prepare Your Home
Winterize your home to help protect yourself and your family from any potential damage the cold temperatures and snow may bring. Follow these tips to keep your home safe and warm:
● Check your heating systems.
● Clean out chimneys and fireplaces.
● Closely monitor any burning fires or candles.
● Check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
● Remove ice and snow from walkways to prevent slips and falls.
● Keep an emergency kit in your home that includes flashlights, extra batteries, a first-aid kit, extra medicine, and baby items.
● In case of power loss, your kit should also include food and water for three days for each family member, warm clothing if you have to evacuate, and toys and games for children.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide detectors save lives. Every year, over 400 people die and 50,000 are treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often described as “flu-like” – headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.